Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

As I tweeted earlier today, I am looking forward to checking out Savage Beauty upon our return to the States.

This is a must-go cannot-miss-out exhibition that celebrates the late Alexander McQueen's (1969-2010) extraordinary contributions to fashion.

He was one of the most influential, radical and provocative designers of his generation. From his post-graduate collection of 1992 to his final runway presentation which took place after his death in February 2010, McQueen challenged and expanded the understanding of fashion beyond utility to a conceptual expression of culture, race, class, gender, seuxality, politics, and identity.

Approximately one hundred examples will be on view, including signature designs such as the bumster trouser, the kimono jacket, and the Origami frock coat.

I LOVE McQueen and have many beloved pieces of his in my personal collection. My style has been tagged edgy, tough, aggressive on countless occasions (mostly by men) every single time I carried a piece by him. Guess what boys? Beat it! McQueen makes me feel confident, sexy and empowered!

So it was much to my surprise to have come across this quote of his today "I like to think of myself as a plastic surgeon with a knife", "I want to empower women. I want people to be afraid of the women I dress", "People find my things sometimes aggressive. But I don't see it as aggressive. I see it as romantic, dealing with the dark side of personality", and 'There is no way back for me now. I am going to take you on journeys you've never dreamed were possible."

Thank you Mr. McQueen for empowering women around the world with your exquisite designs and blessing us with your creativity and provocative voice through fashion. You are dearly missed!

 Video montage courtesy of Alexander McQueen

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wow. It's Quiet Here...
Be the first to start the conversation!